User Researcher & UX Designer
Do you have experience in user research and interaction design? Are you enthusiastic about sustainability and circularity? Metabolic Software, a sustainability-focused software company based in Amsterdam, is looking for a full-time user researcher and UX designer to join our growing team
About Metabolic Software
Metabolic Software develops software products to accelerate the sustainability transition. Our tools provide the most accurate and insightful sustainability intelligence to decision-makers around the world, democratizing access to this expertise in the process.
Metabolic Software is part of the larger Metabolic family of organizations, which engages in applied research, consulting, and venture building. These entities work together to identify, scale, and implement innovative solutions to global problems. Read more about Metabolic’s impact in our latest impact report.
Our passionate team focuses on digital solutions, while putting the planet, and people, over profit. We have front-end and back-end developers, project managers and a UX designer. We are supported by visual designers and sustainability experts from Metabolic. But we are growing rapidly and are looking for new colleagues in several areas.
For more information see: Metabolic Software.
About the Role
Our software team is growing, and we are looking for a user researcher and UX designer who is passionate about talking with (future) users and has a product-centric mindset. You will be working as part of our product and UX team, discovering user needs and helping translate them into requirements for our software development team. You will have the following key responsibilities:
- Understand goals, business requirements and constraints, market opportunities and user needs to help define opportunity areas and user requirements
- Plan, conduct, and synthesize research, testing and piloting activities with (target) users and customers
- Map existing and to-be experiences, through journey maps and service blueprints
- Design wireframes, screens, and prototypes to illustrate product behavior along defined use cases
- Create digital product and service concepts together with the team
- Document product/service requirements and guidelines for following stages of implementation
- Contribute to target user personas and target company profiles
- Contribute to the overarching product vision and roadmap of Metabolic Software
- Contribute to finding product-market-fit for our new flagship product
- Work across all parts of the design process: user research, concept development, prototyping, strategy design, UX + UI and collaborating with development teams
You have a solid background in user research and interaction design, and experience in building SaaS products. You like working proactively and to communicate with a wide range of outside stakeholders, acting as both an ambassador for Metabolic as well as a fact-finder on behalf of our team. You are passionate about sustainability and circularity and are willing to learn and rapidly adapt to changing circumstances in a dynamic startup environment.
Requirements for this role:
- A strong practical and theoretical background in experience design through your studies and professional experience.
- You can logically visualize complex systems and user interaction.
- Ability to present and clearly explain your work to others.
- Experience with conducting user research and/or pilot testing.
- Experience with developing new software products and finding product-market-fit.
- You look for insights and a deeper understanding of workflows, needs, and behaviors.
- You love collaborating with and learning from other disciplines.
- Proficiency with contemporary design and prototyping tools and methods.
- Familiarity with (user) research methods, like interviews, running group conversations and remote user studies.
- Proactive communicator: You are willing to reach out to Metabolic’s wider circle to learn about the market and the needs of potential users.
Bonus if you fulfill any of the following:
- Degree in Interaction Design, Visual Communications, Human Computer Interaction, or a related design or behavioral science discipline
- Experience with visual design is a plus, not a must (we have a kick-ass internal design team).
- Experience facilitating workshops (such as Design sprints).
- We are currently working in Scrum, so a general familiarity with Agile and Scrum is helpful.
- Adjacent experience such as Product Management, UI Design or Software Development.
An ambitious, multicultural team that is excited about sustainability and technology. We are growing fast and are very passionate about changing the world together. Additionally, you will have access to world-class experts in the fields of sustainability and circularity from our sister companies in the wider ecosystem.
This opportunity will put you into a space where we value people with their own ideas and initiatives. We believe in flat hierarchies, shared decision-making and impact over profit. You will be able to participate in an evolving decentralized governance system and be part of a close-knit community of people with shared interests and a strong company culture. And you will be invited to lots of small and big social events, including two retreats a year with your colleagues!
When you work for Metabolic, you will have time and space to experiment with new things and have dedicated time set aside for training and personal development. And while we expect people to want to be in Amsterdam to feel part of our culture, we are flexible in your day-to-day working location, as we prioritize outcomes over physical presence.
The start date for this role is flexible, but you could begin immediately.
If this sounds like something for you, click here to apply and upload your CV and motivation letter. We are looking forward to hearing from you!