Team Lead - Circular Policy & Implementation
**Please note that fluency in both English and Dutch is an essential requirement of this position.
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 90 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in the Netherlands, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of global clients.
Metabolic Consulting is part of the larger Metabolic family of organizations, which engages in advising key decision-makers, applied research, creating digital solutions, and venture building. These entities work together to identify, scale, and implement innovative solutions to global problems. Read more about Metabolic’s impact in our latest impact report.
About the Team
The Policy and Implementation team is part of our Sustainable Cities & Regions Division, which also includes two other teams (Built Environment Team, Urban and Regional Strategies). We collaborate closely across these teams and work interdisciplinary on many of our projects. Our division works with a wide variety of public organizations, ranging from city-governments and local municipalities to regional and provincial governments, all the way up to ministries of the national government and the EU level.
We give policy advice, and provide policymakers and public organizations with the tools they need to become more sustainable, and speed up the transition to a circular, regenerative economy. We help set up and guide public-private partnerships to promote sustainable transitions, and we work with public organizations to shape the institutional context needed to enable these transitions. We focus on topics such as sustainable urban and regional development, work with public organizations on circular and climate neutral procurement, and create monitoring strategies to track progress on ambitious sustainability goals. We aim to take real action, together with our clients and to create alternative systems of governance and ownership of resources and products, that help to create a more just and sustainable economy.
About the Position
In the position as a Team Lead Circular Policy & Implementation you’ll be both a great mentor and strategist. Since the team is still relatively new, you will work together with the team members to improve on the strategy, evaluate and sharpen our services and value add for and with clients. In addition to building out the capacities and value add for the team in the Netherlands, you will work on a strategy to grow internationally, especially with regards to the European Union. You will be a coach and mentor to the team and help them grow and reach their personal development goals. You work closely with the other team leads, to align on capacity needs, and how best to achieve the objectives and key results for the division as a whole. Together with the business development team you will help bring in new jobs and develop new partnerships. To stay close to the day to day work of consulting you will also lead a few key projects in which you take on the role of project manager. You guide the consultants in doing rigorous analysis, in order to understand the fundamental dynamics of a given system and the institutional context that our clients and key stakeholders work in.
You will have the following responsibilities within an interdisciplinary group of co-workers:
- Coaching and growing your team of (now) 6 people, helping with capacity needs, evaluate and execute their personal development plans, provide mentoring and help them grow in their role and careers;
- Guiding their research, in policy-, material flow- and stakeholder analyses;
- Use systems-thinking and transition management to pinpoint the best solutions and interventions, evaluate the current strategies and create new ones;
- Set up annual objectives and key results on the basis of this, track and monitor the progress towards success;
- Create new job opportunities, bring in sales and set up new partnerships, in collaboration with our business development team;
- Bring on and train new team members to do the work and make an impact;
- Help shape the narrative of what you do as a team and work closely with the marketing and communications team to tell these stories to the world;
- Work closely with our clients to actually help make the change possible and take real-world action.
We are looking for a strong leader, who is passionate about circular policy work, eager to learn, and is driven to join and guide our mission to work towards a global sustainable economy. You are somebody who can connect the dots and has a multidisciplinary way of thinking. You are somebody who understands the role of public organizations and governmental institutions in the sustainability transition and has had experience organizing this change.
Above all: you understand people and their needs, can be a leader and mentor to your team, are open to give and receive feedback, and create a safe, fun and inspiring work environment.
- Fluency in both Dutch and English is an essential requirement.
- 4-6 years working experience in the field of public policy, environmental resource management, governance, sustainability, industrial ecology and/or urban development;
- Experience with leading and developing a small team;
- Great coaching and mentoring skills;
- Knowledge of and experience with circular economy policy, on the national and European level
- Educated to Masters level (or equivalent) in a relevant degree, for instance: Industrial Ecology, Environmental sciences, Governance of Sustainability, Sustainable Policy or related field.
- Have a good understanding of both quantitative and qualitative research skills, and experience with policy analysis, transition- and systems thinking
- Experience with project- and program management
- For non-EU/EEA applicants: The role is dependent upon obtaining a visa to live and work in the Netherlands. Metabolic is a recognised visa sponsor and may support the successful candidate’s application for a work visa.
Be part of a dynamic, ambitious and multicultural team that is passionate about sustainability, policy and technology and making an impact. Collaborate and work alongside world-class experts in the fields of sustainability and circularity from our sister companies in the wider ecosystem. We are growing fast and are very passionate about changing the world together.
This opportunity will place you in an environment that values people with their own ideas and initiatives. We believe in autonomy, shared decision-making and impact over profit. You will be able to participate in an evolving decentralized governance system and be part of a close-knit community of people with shared interests and a strong company culture.
You will also be encouraged to grow and develop, have time and space to experiment with new ideas and have dedicated time set aside for training and personal development. We are based in Amsterdam, but operate a hybrid working model, giving you the freedom to work both at home and at our vibrant office.
This position will be based from our offices in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
How to apply:
Please submit your CV and letter of motivation in English via the Apply button below.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 18th December 2022, but please note that we will be interviewing on a rolling basis.
In case of questions, please feel free to contact [email protected] .