Sustainability Consultant: Policy Cluster
Do you have a background in sustainability with a focus on making a change through pulling on the right policy levers and do you want to help transition the economy to a fundamentally sustainable state as soon as possible? Metabolic is looking for a new Sustainability Consultant to join our Policy Cluster.
Metabolic Consulting advises governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can radically shift how the economy functions.
Metabolic Consulting is part of the larger Metabolic family of organizations, which engages in advising key decision-makers, applied research, creating digital solutions, and venture building. These entities work together to identify, scale, and implement innovative solutions to global problems. Read more about Metabolic’s impact in our latest impact report. We are an international and dynamic team of around 90 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands and with an increasingly international reach as a company, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across the Netherlands, Europe, the US, and Asia.
About the Position
We are looking for a Sustainability Consultant with knowledge about the public and semi-public sector in the fields of policy for urban and regional development issues, circular procurement & tendering and circular construction, among other areas.
The Policy Cluster works with a wide variety of public organizations, ranging from cities, provinces and water authorities, all the way up to ministries of the national government. Within the policy cluster, we bridge the gap between in-depth data analyses and consultancy work for public organizations that want to convert this into action. We help public organizations determine their strategic focus, set ambitious sustainability targets and implement policy. We then also support the development of monitoring systems to monitor the transition to a circular economy, both in terms of impact and dynamics of the economy. For this we apply various analysis tools such as material flow analyses, systems mapping and create dashboards that give immediate insights. We also use a wide range of qualitative methodologies, we conduct interviews, host workshops and use systems and transition thinking in our day-to-day work. We often have close contact with our customers and we are therefore looking for someone who has good communication skills, speaks well in public and can support in hosting workshops.
In the position as a medior consultant you’ll have the following responsibilities within an interdisciplinary team you will:
- be responsible for managing your own projects,
- be leading your own research, assisting in policy analysis, qualitative research and stakeholder interviews,
- Guide others in quantitative analysis (material flow and impact analysis)
- conduct interviews and analyse the results,
- use systems and transition thinking to pinpoint the best solutions for creating structual change,
- manage a diverse group of stakeholders,
- and translate these into actionable results by writing great reports that are concise, easy to understand, build momentum and motivate people to act.
We are looking for somebody who is driven to make a change, outspoken, assertive and eager to learn, and is driven to join our mission to work towards a global sustainable economy. We’re looking for someone who understands the role of public organisations and government in the sustainability transition and knows how to help them change.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (Dutch & English, both are hard requirements)
- 3-5 years working experience in the field of sustainability or urban development
- Educated to Masters level (or equivalent) in one or more of the following disciplines: Environmental sciences, Urban and regional development, Earth system sciences, Policy or Water Management.
- A foundation of knowledge in environmental sciences and governance and sustainable development
- Able to perform qualitative analysis (interviews, literature review)
- Knowledge in environmental governance, public policy at the local, national and EU level, and systems thinking is an advantage
- Experience with material flow analysis or LCA Impact analysis is an advantage, but not an essential requirement
- Have, or be able to apply for, a residence permit to work within the Netherlands for the duration of the contract
Be part of a dynamic, ambitious and multicultural team that is passionate about sustainability and technology and making an impact. Collaborate and work alongside world-class experts in the fields of sustainability and circularity from our sister companies in the wider ecosystem. We are growing fast and are very passionate about changing the world together.
This opportunity will place you in an environment that values people with their own ideas and initiatives. We believe in flat hierarchies, shared decision-making and impact over profit. You will be able to participate in an evolving decentralized governance system and be part of a close-knit community of people with shared interests and a strong company culture.
You will also be encouraged to grow and develop, have time and space to experiment with new ideas and have dedicated time set aside for training and personal development. We are based in Amsterdam, but operate a hybrid working model, giving you the freedom to choose between home and our vibrant office.