Sustainability Consultant - Finance
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We work with financial institutions, NGOs, and governments in the transition to a sustainable economy. We help financial institutions understand the risks from environmental impacts and develop innovative and sustainable forms of value.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 80 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in the Netherlands with an increasingly international reach as a company, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across the Netherlands, Europe, the US, and Asia.
About the Position
Metabolic works with financial institutions in the transition to a more sustainable economy. We help them understand risks from environmental impacts, and to develop innovative forms of sustainable value. Finance is one of the key leverage points in the transition to a more equitable and sustainable economy. As our work with financial institutions expands, we are looking for a Sustainability Consultant – Finance to join our consulting team.
We are looking for a strategic thinker, who is analytically minded and solutions-oriented in the field of financial sustainability. You should be comfortable working autonomously, and also as part of a close-knit interdisciplinary and international team. Our ideal candidate has a clear vision for sustainable finance that goes beyond ESG. We are on a path to build a financial system that supports a thriving, inclusive and equitable economy. We need to move beyond debt-based financing and develop instruments that couple returns to financial institutions with impact outcomes. A strong understanding of systems thinking and sustainability concepts (circular economy, planetary boundaries, etc) are key.
This role requires consulting and business development for finance clients, as well as working in close partnership across our other consulting teams to develop data-driven and impact-focussed business cases for sustainability interventions. You should feel confident taking on a leading role in consulting projects and have sound experience in project management. You should also be comfortable with external-facing client engagements, and have a passion for digesting new developments in the field of sustainable finance and placing them in the context in which we work. Lastly, as the work involves expanding the reach of our work in the financial sector, excellent communication skills and experience in business development, fundraising, or entrepreneurship are highly valued.
The position is a full-time role and will start asap. The position is based in our offices in Amsterdam.
Working closely to support the Finance Director and other senior Consulting leads , you will have the following key accountabilities
- Sustainable Finance Consulting
- Taking a leading role in consulting projects with finance clients
- Staying up-to-date on the latest developments in sustainable and impact finance
- Working with other internal stakeholders to support business case development for interventions in a variety of sectors or contexts
- Internal and external thought leadership on sustainable finance, circular finance, and impact finance
- Business Development
- Working with our team on business development (lead generation, networking, proposal writing, account management) in the consulting finance cluster
- Fluency in English required, Dutch a plus
- 2+ years working experience in the field of sustainable finance or impact investing
- Excellent communication skills
- Project management experience
- Familiarity with current sustainable finance frameworks and methodologies (e.g PCAF), and prevalent laws and regulations in sustainable finance
- Demonstrated experience of working with key sustainability topics and systems thinking