Junior Sustainability Consultant - Data Analytics
Metabolic’s Built Environment team are looking for a new Dutch-speaking Junior Sustainability Consultant to join the team with a focus on data and analytics.
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 90 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in the Netherlands, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of global clients.
Metabolic Consulting advises governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can radically shift how the economy functions.
Metabolic Consulting is part of the larger Metabolic family of organizations, which engages in advising key decision-makers, applied research, creating digital solutions, and venture building. These entities work together to identify, scale, and implement innovative solutions to global problems. Read more about Metabolic’s impact in our latest impact report. We are an international and dynamic team of around 90 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands and with an increasingly international reach as a company, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across the Netherlands, Europe, the US, and Asia.
About the Built Environment Team
We are a small and close-knit team that are passionate about applying our knowledge and skills to help solve key challenges in the built environment and contribute to a sustainable economy. Our team works across different scales on:
- Circular, biobased and sustainable building design
- Impact analysis of individual building designs and real estate portfolios (focussing on energy performance and embedded impacts)
- Urban mining strategies for projects, cities and regions
- Developing sustainable implementation roadmap
- Scenario analysis to assess the impact of policies and sustainable interventions
About the Position
We are currently looking for an experienced Junior Sustainability Consultant – Data Analytics for our Built Environment team, within the Cities consulting team. We are looking for someone with a background and demonstrable interest in the construction sector or the built environment. Your main task will be to support our project managers with research and analysis, but in addition you should also be comfortable to participate in external meetings and workshops, with clients and business networks. And of course: have a passion for implementing sustainable and circular practices within the built environment. A strong understanding of sustainability concepts such as circular, regenerative and energy-efficient design is key.
In this role you will be:
- Assessing environmental impact of building projects
- Supporting our team through conducting research, quantitative analysis, and impact assessments
- Integrating sustainability measures in building designs and design processes
- Making convincing, data-based recommendations on how companies and other stakeholders can take action to make their building practices more sustainable,
- Keeping up to speed with developments regarding sustainability in the built environment,
- Work with a diverse range of clients within the building sector to push the circular transition (architects, developers, municipalities, etc)
- Fluency in English & Dutch is an essential requirement.
- Educated to Graduate level (or equivalent) in one or more of the following disciplines: Architecture & Building Technology, Urban Data Science, Industrial Ecology, Urban Design, Spatial Planning, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Management, Urban Systems Engineering OR relevant work experience or discipline.
- Demonstrable background in architecture/building engineering and sustainable design
- Basic understanding of the construction sector
- General understanding and passion for sustainability in the built environment (modular building, green facades, embodied impacts etc.)
- Technical knowledge of sustainable building practices (e.g. building materials and their impact, energy-, sanitation- and ventilation systems)
- Skilled in visualization of data analysis results
- Working knowledge of data analysis (e.g. Excel, prior experience with Python is a pro)
- A foundation of knowledge in sustainability, environmental impact analysis, and systems thinking
- Familiarity with capitals assessments, science-based targets, and carbon accounting is an advantage
- Preferred: Knowledge of life cycle assessment or impact assessment for materials
- Preferred: experience with GIS
- For non-EU/EEA applicants: The role is dependent upon obtaining a visa to live and work in the Netherlands. Metabolic is a recognised visa sponsor and may support the successful candidate’s application for a work visa.
Be part of a dynamic, ambitious and multicultural team that is passionate about sustainability and technology and making an impact. Collaborate and work alongside world-class experts in the fields of sustainability and circularity from our sister companies in the wider ecosystem. We are growing fast and are very passionate about changing the world together.
This opportunity will place you in an environment that values people with their own ideas and initiatives. We believe in flat hierarchies, shared decision-making and impact over profit. You will be able to participate in an evolving decentralized governance system and be part of a close-knit community of people with shared interests and a strong company culture.
You will also be encouraged to grow and develop, have time and space to experiment with new ideas and have dedicated time set aside for training and personal development. We are based in Amsterdam, but operate a hybrid working model, giving you the freedom to work both at home and at our vibrant office.
This position is based at our offices in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
How to apply:
Please submit your CV and letter of motivation in English via the Apply button below.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 29th January 2023, but please note that we will be interviewing on a rolling basis.
In case of questions, please feel free to contact [email protected]