Sustainability Consultant, Data & Analytics (Agrifood & Biodiversity)
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are a team of around 85 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. In our eight years of existence, we have developed systems analyses and sustainability strategies for over 500 clients.
About the position
We are looking for a data analyst with experience in sustainability consulting, ideally in agrifood and biodiversity to join our consulting team. Within your role, you will be supporting the data analysis aspects on projects across multiple scales, from value chain analysis to landscape and capital assessments, and science-based targets. You will support the creation of pioneering insights to companies, NGOs, and governments regarding how to plan and organize agrifood supply chains and landscapes in line with planetary boundaries and global sustainability goals. This requires creativity, innovation, and pragmatism.
You’ll be working in a multi-disciplinary team (landscape ecology, conservation biology, agricultural and forest science, earth systems science, agroecology, sustainable development) in developing effective strategies that deliver high-value results and insights in an efficient and effective manner.
Your work will include data analytics in the broad sense of the definition, ranging from method development, to data collection, processing, analysis, visualisation, and to insights. Next to the technical aspects of data analytics, one of your main challenges will be to communicate your data-driven insights in a way that successfully influences action with our clients. The main tools you will use for your analysis are Python, QGIS, and Excel.
We are looking for a colleague with strong analytical skills and high attention to detail, but also the ability to zoom out and use your creativity to find new solutions. You should be comfortable working autonomously, and also as part of a close-knit interdisciplinary team.
The position is a full-time role and has a flexible starting date. It requires you to locate to (or close to) Amsterdam.
- Experienced data analyst (2-5 years of relevant work experience)
- Skilled in programming for data analysis (Python)
- Skilled in spatial analysis (QGIS, Python)
- Skilled in visualisation of data analysis results (Python, Excel, QGIS)
- Knowledge of database management and SQL is a pro
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Educated to Masters level (or equivalent) in one or more of the following disciplines: Environmental Sciences, Environmental Management, Earth systems science, Agricultural Science, Forest Science, Conservation Biology, Landscape Ecology, Data Science.
- A foundation of knowledge in sustainability, environmental impact analysis, and systems thinking
- Familiarity with capitals assessments, science-based targets, and carbon accounting is an advantage
- Knowledge of statistics, uncertainty analysis, and error propagation is an advantage
- Valid work permit to work as an employee in the Netherlands
The position can be four or five days a week, and has a flexible starting date. It requires you to locate to (or close to) Amsterdam.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and motivation letter via this form before 20th of September, 2021, 23:59.
Please note, we will be conducting rolling interviews to fill the position up until the 23rd of September.
In case of questions, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.