Sustainability Consultant - Advanced Data Analytics (Cities)
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are a team of around 90 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. In our eight years of existence, we have developed systems analyses and circular economy strategies for over 500 clients, including cities and regions in the Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, the US, and Asia.
About the Position
We are looking for a data analyst with experience in sustainability consulting and specifically within cities and the built environment to join our consulting team. Within your role, you will be leading the data analysis aspects on projects across multiple scales, from the building level, circular area, and neighborhood development to city and regions.
You’ll be working in a multi-disciplinary team (industrial ecology, energy science, architecture, spatial planners, etc.) in developing effective strategies that deliver high-value results and insights in an efficient and effective manner. Your work will include data analytics in the broad sense of the definition, ranging from method development, to data collection, processing, analysis, visualisation, and to insights. Next to the technical aspects of data analytics, one of your main challenges will be to communicate your data-driven insights in a way that successfully influences action with our clients. The main tools you will use for your analysis are Python or R, QGIS and Excel.
We are looking for a colleague with domain expertise on sustainable cities & urban development, strong analytical skills and high attention to detail, but also the ability to zoom out and use your creativity to find new solutions. You should be comfortable working autonomously, and also as part of a close-knit interdisciplinary team. You will be fluent in Dutch.
The position is a full-time role and has a flexible starting date. It requires you to locate to (or close to) Amsterdam.
- Experienced data analyst (2-5 years of relevant work experience)
- Skilled in programming for data analysis (Python or R)
- Skilled in spatial analysis (QGIS, Python or R)
- Skilled in visualisation of data analysis results (Python or R, Excel, QGIS, dashboarding in Tableau, PowerBI or QLIK is a pro)
- Good knowledge of statistics, uncertainty analysis, and error propagation
- Knowledge of database management and SQL is a pro
- A foundation of knowledge in sustainability for cities, environmental impact analysis, and systems thinking
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and fluency in both Dutch and English
- Educated to Masters level (or equivalent) in one or more of the the following disciplines: Data Science, Industrial ecology, Urban Design, Spatial Planning, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Management, Urban Systems Engineering
- Valid work permit to work as an employee in the Netherlands