Software Development Manager
Metabolic is an ecosystem of organizations that aims to accelerate the transition of the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. Metabolic’s software arm serves as the software branch of the ecosystem, embedding earth systems intelligence and sustainability assessment into internal and external tools that support Metabolic’s overall mission. Our goal is to develop tools that provide the most accurate and insightful sustainability intelligence to decision-makers around the world, democratizing access to this expertise in the process.
We are a growing team consisting of front-end and back-end developers, project managers and a UX designer. The team is currently transitioning from an internal software department working project-based to a more independent team focusing on Metabolic’s future software products. You’ll support this team on both internal and external projects as well as help us transition to our future vision for Metabolic software.
About the Position
We are looking for a Software Development Manager with experience in team development and workflow management, and with strong organizational skills.
You’ll manage software development resources and processes to ensure the delivery of requirements from the Metabolic software team. As a software development manager you will have the following key responsibilities:
- Coordinate the development processes and create team organization structures.
- Help to coordinate team activities and ensure that the team has all necessary resources to complete their work efficiently, and in an empowering environment.
- Develop and execute onboarding processes for new hires to ensure an effective integration into the team.
- Implement appropriate procedures and processes to enable the reliable delivery of great software
- Provide guidance to team members to improve work productivity.
- Participate in annual team performance reviews and determine team development trajectories
- Help to identify hiring needs with the team and to oversee the hiring process
- Represent the software development team in meetings with clients and other stakeholders as needed.
The position is a full-time role and has a flexible starting date. It requires you to be based in (or close to) Amsterdam.
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer or in an equivalent role.
- Experience leading software development teams in a development manager, software team lead, or equivalent role.
- Experience developing and overseeing user driven software development processes and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal leadership skills, comfortable working in a fast-changing environment.
- Passion for supporting individual development and growth of the team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in English required, and fluency in Dutch is a plus.
- Ability to explain the complexities of creating modern software products to clients and other stakeholders outside the software team.
- Comfortable working autonomously, as well as part of a close-knit interdisciplinary team.
- Understanding of version management, databases, tools like Gitlab/Github, development frameworks and methodologies.
- Familiarity with Agile development frameworks, with an agile mind-set.
- Valid work permit to work as an employee in the Netherlands.
- A foundation of knowledge in sustainability, systems thinking, and/or environmental management.
- Experience in software architecture or other software development related roles are a plus.
- Background in data science or experience working with data scientists are a plus
How to apply:
To apply, please use this form to upload your CV and a letter of motivation in English (both in PDF format, please!). The deadline to apply is Wednesday, June 30th, at 23:59. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us through email@example.com.