Senior Sustainability Consultant (Agrifood & Biodiversity)
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 90 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in the Netherlands, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of global clients.
Metabolic Consulting is part of the larger Metabolic ecosystem. Whereas Consulting advises key decision-makers, other entities in the ecosystem engage in applied research, creating digital solutions, and venture building. These entities work together to identify, scale, and implement innovative solutions to global problems.
Read more about Metabolic’s impact in our latest impact report.
About the team
The Agrifood & Biodiversity division gives strategic advice, and provides clients and partners with the knowledge and tools they need to become more sustainable, and speed up the transition to a nature-positive economy. Together, we are 15 people, and we collaborate closely across two teams (Nature and Landscapes), working interdisciplinarily on many of our projects. Our division works with a wide variety of corporate, public and non-governmental organizations, and focuses exclusively on sustainability and systems change topics. We are active in the biodiversity space, are members of the Science-Based Targets Network, the Taskforce for Nature-related Disclosures, and the Capitals Coalition. We work closely with and are partners of WWF.
About the Position
We are currently looking for an experienced project manager for our Agrifood and Biodiversity division. For this role we are looking for someone who would like to apply their knowledge and experience to help businesses in the agrifood sector solve key challenges relating to nature and climate.
We are looking for someone with strong experience in project and stakeholder management, ideally in sustainability. You should be comfortable with external-facing client engagements, have a passion for digesting the latest developments in the fields of biodiversity and agriculture and placing them in the context in which we work. You should have a keen sense for relationship building and business communication. A strong understanding of systems thinking and sustainability concepts are key.
You should see yourself:
- Leading the assessment of business impacts and dependencies on nature
- Making convincing cases for how companies and other stakeholders can take action
- Keeping up to speed with developments in global biodiversity and agricultural policy
- Growing relationships with clients, leading project teams, and managing key accounts
- Developing further opportunities for Metabolic
- Mentoring & supervising colleagues at Metabolic and contributing to team innovation
Project Execution ±70%
- Manage various types of projects, from impact assessments, to capitals assessments, developing integrated nature and climate strategies for agrifood companies
- Represent Metabolic in client meetings
- Lead project teams and provide expert input
- Work closely with our analysts to direct their work and derive insights
- Work with our communications lead to create high impact deliverables, communicate and develop visuals and messaging in a way that empowers our clients to take action
- Ensure projects are run according to timeline, budget, and quality and ambition standards
- Responsible for supervision and guidance of junior members of the team within project work
Business Development & Other Responsibilities ±30%
- Work with our team on business development (lead generation, networking, key account management)
- Maintain and contribute to key relationships and strategic partnerships
- Represent Metabolic in key networks, events and programs
- Contribute to business and impact strategy development
- Work with other internal stakeholders to support service and process innovation
- Driven, curious, and a team player
- 3+ years of experience in project management or sustainability consulting with a corporate engagement focus
- Education to the level of Bachelor’s / Master’s degree in a relevant business, environment, or sustainability-focused field, OR strong relevant demonstrable experience in project management and consulting
- Demonstrated experience of working with key approaches such as systems thinking, corporate impact assessments, climate and nature topics, stakeholder management
- Demonstrated experience in developing and pitching sustainability strategies
- Experience and passion for relationship building and account management
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills with the ability to draw conclusions from quantitative and qualitative information
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Fluency in English required, additional languages are an advantage
- For non-EU/EEA applicants: The role is dependent upon obtaining a visa to live and work in the Netherlands. Metabolic is a recognised visa sponsor and may support the successful candidate’s application for a work visa
Be part of a dynamic, ambitious and international team that is passionate about sustainability and making an impact. Collaborate and work alongside world-class experts in the fields of sustainability and circularity from our sister companies in the wider ecosystem. We are growing fast and are very passionate about changing the world together.
This opportunity will place you in an environment that values people with their own ideas and initiatives. We believe in flat hierarchies, shared decision-making and impact over profit. You will be able to participate in an evolving decentralized governance system and be part of a close-knit community of people with shared interests and a strong company culture. You will also be encouraged to grow and develop, have time and space to experiment with new ideas and have dedicated time set aside for training and personal development.
We are based in Amsterdam, but operate a hybrid working model, giving you the freedom to work both at home and at our vibrant office.
The position can be four or five days a week, with the preferred starting date as soon as possible. It requires you to be based within the Netherlands.
How to apply:
Please submit your CV and letter of motivation in English via the Apply button below. In case of questions, please feel free to contact [email protected].
The deadline for applications is Monday, 29th of May 2023, at 23:59 CEST.