Science Writer / In-house Journalist
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable State. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 75 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in the Netherlands with an increasingly international reach as a company, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across the Netherlands, Europe, the US, and Asia.
Background to the role
As an organization committed to building a sustainable economy, Metabolic’s mission is to accelerate systems change. The power of communications is essential to us realizing this mission.
Metabolic’s marketing and communications team ensures our work and thinking reaches the right audiences and helps shift both attitudes and actions. The team breaks down the complexities often involved in communicating about sustainability, the circular economy, and systems change. We aim to raise awareness, educate, and develop thought leadership that drives action.
We’re looking for a natural storyteller, with excellent writing skills and a strong passion for social and environmental change. In your role, you will focus on press and content relating to sustainability and circular economy projects and principles, scientific reports, and topical news. You will be responsible for coordinating an editorial pipeline that resonates with Metabolic’s key audiences, including long-form content for press and our website, white papers, press releases, newsletters, and occasionally social media. Your role will be to develop engaging content that aligns with Metabolic’s organizational mission, and to identify influential media opportunities to maximize impact.
- Providing scientific writing and communications support: working closely with the Metabolic team to gather in-depth knowledge of their work, translating academic and scientific research into palatable summaries and stories.
- Researching and writing thought pieces and original content.
- Managing media outreach, development of media relationships, and creation of press releases and op-eds.
- Encouraging and facilitating writing within Metabolic’s team of subject matter experts, through interviews, narrative guidance, written assistance, and editing for structure, grammar, style, and tone.
- Maintaining a clear and efficient editorial calendar: working with the Communications Director and Metabolic’s division leads to track content through the editorial process and adhere to deadlines:
- Keeping abreast of what the team is working on, and how it relates to broader news and trends
- Scouting out topical themes and story opportunities
- Working with multiple writers and managing a unified calendar
- Interviewing external circular economy and sustainability experts when strategically relevant.
- Working with external experts i.e. proofreaders, translators, writers or editors, when necessary.
- Working with partners and clients to craft joint messaging and campaigns, especially as it relates to press and content.
- Supporting the development of other forms of content i.e. graphics and multimedia to underpin project launches, business development, and branded campaigns.
- Excellent English writing skills
- Degree in journalism/content marketing/communications, or similar
- Extensive experience in a newsroom or equivalent PR experience
- Extensive experience editing the writing of others
- Strong interest in and some experience of sustainability journalism and circular economy principles
- Ability to craft narratives around complex subject matter (work experience as a science writer or journalist is a must)
- Good handle on marketing knowledge necessary to create relevant content and connect with defined target audiences
- Creative thinker
- Organized and efficient
- Experience in data journalism is a plus
- Fluency in Dutch is a plus
- Visa that allows you to work in the Netherlands is a strong plus
How to apply:
To apply, please send your CV, motivation letter, and one or more writing samples via this form. In your letter, we’d love to hear your views on why you see science communication as a critical tool for driving systems change. In case of questions, please feel free to contact us through email@example.com.