Office Manager & Administrator
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable
state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 90 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in the Netherlands with an increasingly international reach as a company, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across the Netherlands, Europe, the US, and Asia.
About the Position
Metabolic is a mission-driven organisation that strives to operate at the highest level of excellence. Our Operations team plays an essential role in helping us maximize our overall impact. We are currently recruiting for an Office Manager & Administrator to join our Operations team, to manage the office and work closely with the Director of Operations on other operational tasks.
We value a human-centered approach to Operations at Metabolic. This is at the heart of everything we do and the decisions we make across the Operations team, and our primary focus is to nurture a work environment that ensures happy and healthy people.
In this position, you will be responsible for managing the day-to-day functions of our bright comfortable office in Amsterdam Noord (and home office needs for our remote team) to ensure a professional, nurturing office working environment for our team, and also provide general administrative assistance, working closely with the Director of Operations.
You will be the main contact for ensuring all office logistics run smoothly. We are looking for a diligent solutions-oriented individual who is comfortable working both autonomously and as an integral part of a close-knit international team. You have prior experience in an office, floor or similar project management role. You are a skilled problem-solver with strong interpersonal skills, and you find your energy from working with people. You will constantly find ways to improve our office comfort, processes and functions, and maintain the office as a professional nurturing environment in which our team can thrive.
You will value and apply our policy of Repair, Reuse, Restore, Reimagine across our office furnishings, design and function. You will thrive in a role where you can turn your hand to any task across the office, from taking care of our plants, to identifying sustainable procurement suppliers, installing a hammock and climbing hangboard at the office, and everything in between. You will be responsible for implementing office health and safety standards in compliance with local laws, and for supporting the Director of Operations on any office building or restructure planning and PM. You will also enjoy working on a variety of administrative tasks as directed by the Director of Operations. The position is a full-time role, is based at our office in Amsterdam Noord, and starts as soon as possible.
- Manage all aspects of Metabolic’s office in Amsterdam Noord (and remote working spaces) to ensure a professional, nurturing and safe physical working environment for our team
- Manage our procurement processes, including working with key stakeholders to deliver our sustainable procurement strategy
- Act as key liaison with external service contractors and providers
- Be responsible for the security of the office, and the security company point of contact
- Support the Director of Operations on any office improvements and PM needs, in build or design
- Manage office-based health and safety at Metabolic, ensuring compliance with H & S law, and maintain the office risk register
- Asset management
- Facilities management
- Garden maintenance
- Assist the Director of Operations in drafting office/ operations Processes and Frameworks, as required
- Assist at company retreats, away days and staff social events, such as after work drinks/BBQs
- Assist in elements of our onboarding and offboarding processes (for example, giving office tours to new starters)
- Identify ongoing efficiencies and improvements to current office processes
- Support the Director of Operations in all miscellaneous aspects of operations and admin, as required
- Fluency in English essential, fluency in Dutch a strong plus
- 2 years’ previous work experience managing an office or similar environment (such as floor manager for a public space), or as administration assistant or similar
- Well organized and proactive, with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage numerous simultaneous tasks and workflows autonomously, such as health and safety, procurement etc
- Strong affinity to Metabolic’s mission
- Excellent skills in process and simple project management
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Practical skills, such as ability to do minor office repairs, painting, etc are a real plus
- Ability to work autonomously
- Clean full Dutch driving licence (essential)
- A Dutch working visa (essential)