Junior Sustainability Consultant - Cities and Regions
Do you have a background in sustainability and urban development and do you want to help transition the economy to a fundamentally sustainable state as soon as possible? Metabolic is looking for a new Junior Sustainability Consultant to join our Cities and Regions team.
Metabolic Consulting advises governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can radically shift how the economy functions.
Metabolic Consulting is part of the larger Metabolic family of organizations, which engages in advising key decision-makers, applied research, creating digital solutions, and venture building. These entities work together to identify, scale, and implement innovative solutions to global problems. Read more about Metabolic’s impact in our latest impact report. We are an international and dynamic team of around 90 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands and with an increasingly international reach as a company, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across the Netherlands, Europe, the US, and Asia.
About the Position
Metabolic’s Cities and Regions team works with a wide variety of public organizations,ranging from cities, provinces and water authorities, all the way up to ministries of the national government. We give policymakers the tools to evaluate and refocus their efforts to be more effective. We focus on questions around sustainable urban and regional development, create city wide strategies and work with cities, provinces and water authorities on circular and climate neutral procurement and monitoring strategies to track progress on ambitious sustainability goals.
In the position as junior consultant you’ll have the following responsibilities within an interdisciplinary team:
- You will be responsible for leading your own research, assisting in policy, material flow and impact analysis,
- use systems and transition thinking to pinpoint the best solutions,
- Manage a diverse group of stakeholders,
- conduct interviews and analyse the results,
- and translate these into actionable results by writing great reports that are coincide, easy to understand, build momentum and motivate people to act.
We are looking for somebody who is outspoken, assertive and eager to learn, and is driven to join our mission to work towards a global sustainable economy. We’re looking for someone who understands the role of public organisations and government in the sustainability transition.
- 1-2 years working experience in the field of sustainability or urban development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (Fluent Dutch & English)
- Educated to Masters level (or equivalent) in one or more of the following disciplines: Environmental sciences, Urban and regional development, Earth system sciences, Policy or Water Management.
- A foundation of knowledge in environmental sciences and governance and sustainable development
- Able to perform qualitative analysis (interviews, literature review)
- Knowledge in water management, policy and systems thinking is an advantage
- Experience with material flow analysis or LCA Impact analysis is an advantage
- Have, or be able to apply for, a residence permit to work within the Netherlands for the duration of the contract
Note: Fluent Dutch and English language skills are an essential requirement of this position.
Be part of a dynamic, ambitious and multicultural team that is passionate about sustainability and technology and making an impact. Collaborate and work alongside world-class experts in the fields of sustainability and circularity from our sister companies in the wider ecosystem. We are growing fast and are very passionate about changing the world together.
This opportunity will place you in an environment that values people with their own ideas and initiatives. We believe in flat hierarchies, shared decision-making and impact over profit. You will be able to participate in an evolving decentralized governance system and be part of a close-knit community of people with shared interests and a strong company culture.
You will also be encouraged to grow and develop, have time and space to experiment with new ideas and have dedicated time set aside for training and personal development. We are based in Amsterdam, but operate a hybrid working model, giving you the freedom to choose between home and our vibrant office.
How to apply:
To apply, please use this form. You will be asked to upload your CV, and a copy of a letter of motivation (in PDF format). In case of questions, please feel free to contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are open until October 29th at midnight local time. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis.