REFLOW Internship (March 2021)
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable State. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 75 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in the Netherlands with an increasingly international reach as a company, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across the Netherlands, Europe, the US, and Asia.
About Metabolic Institute & REFLOW
The Metabolic Institute is a non-profit think tank working at the intersection of academic research and real-world experimentation. The think tank advances open-source knowledge on global sustainability issues by prototyping how society can thrive while remaining safely within the bounds of the planet.
REFLOW is an EU H2020 funded project spanning three years and six cities that seeks to understand and transform urban material flows, co-create and test regenerative solutions at business, governance, and citizen levels to create a resilient circular economy. In this project, Metabolic Institute is assessing critical urban resource flows of the six REFLOW pilot cities, including plastic, textile, organic waste, timber, and energy.
We will identify the major environmental hotspots caused by these flows and offer interventions aimed to reduce their negative impacts. The social-cultural, environmental, and economic context of cities and their stakeholders will act as leading lights for how we guide the reconfiguration of these resource flows and intervene effectively in each pilot city.
About the Internship
This internship is an opportunity to assess tangible environmental impacts and develop critical insight into urban resource flows in European cities and the conditions required for circular systems to flourish. It will allow you to actively contribute to a pan-European movement towards helping cities achieve a circular economy.
As a REFLOW intern, you will be supporting the Metabolic Institute team to evaluate the potential impact of circular solutions and locally-developed prototypes by the six REFLOW pilot cities using Life Cycle Analysis and Material Flow Analyses. It will also include calculating the impact that each proposed intervention could have should it continue to scale in the future.
The internship will begin in March 2021 and will be four to five days per week for six months.
This internship provides a stipend.
As an applicant for the position, we expect you to live up to most of these criteria:
- Expertise in environmental impact analysis and assessments, preferably with a focus on sustainable urban resources and the circular economy
- Expertise in Life Cycle Analysis (LCAs) and Material Flow Analysis (MFAs)
- Good data manipulation skills
- Strong interdisciplinary research skills, with adequate capacity in conducting research, synthesizing information, and communicating conclusions
- A passion for environmental and social issues
- Have fun working on challenging projects as part of an enthusiastic and diverse team
- Fluency in written and spoken EnglishGreat communication and teamwork skills
To be eligible for an internship with Metabolic the following criteria must be met (non-negotiable):
- Currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a relevant Master’s degree.
- Have, or be able to apply, for a residence permit in the Netherlands (valid for working purposes and for the entire duration of the internship).
- Have, or be able to request, a BSN (burgerservicenummer/citizen service number).
The deadline to apply is February 28th, 2021 at 23:59 CET. We will be evaluating applications as they come in, so we strongly advise to submit your letter and CV as soon as possible.