Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are a team of around 50 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. In our 6 years of existence, we have developed systems analyses and circular economy strategies for over 500 clients, including cities and regions in the Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, the US, and parts of Asia.
Metabolic has a new software team, Systemic, that builds decision support tools to make it easier for organizations to make the most sustainable decisions across their operations. Our first product, ChemDSS, is an eco-design tool that simplifies the creation of green chemicals. Another project, the MFA tool, makes it easy to create great-looking Sankey visualizations from material flow data. This same data can then be used to investigate the impact of those flows and turn that into another visualization.
The software team consists of a backend developer/dev ops engineer, a backend developer/project manager and a frontend developer/UX designer. We’re supported by Metabolic regarding visual design, marketing communications, sales, strategy and of course their expertise on sustainability.
About the internship
The internship starts late August/early September 2020 and should last for 5-6 months, though the specifics and starting date are a bit flexible depending on your specific situation. The internship is paid. The internship would be 3-5 days/week. The internship is based in Amsterdam.
We are looking for someone with…
- Experience with
- Modern Webpack based workflows
- Style frameworks like Bootstrap and or UI libraries like Vuetify or Material-UI
- Git and GitLab or Github
- Ideally some experience with
- Data visualizations, using something like D3
- Strong sense of responsive design and user experience
- The ability to work independently
- Great attention to detail
- Great team working skills
- An interest in sustainability
- An aligned philosophy of building a sustainable future
To be eligible for an internship with Systemic the following criteria must be met (non-negotiable):
- Have, or be able to apply, for a residence permit in the Netherlands (valid for working purposes and for the entire duration of the internship)
- Have, or be able to request, a BSN (burgerservicenummer/citizen service number)
- Based in Amsterdam
To apply for the position, please send your CV and letter of motivation to email@example.com
The deadline to apply is August 16, 2020 at 23:59 CET.
Please note: we will be evaluating applications as they come in, so the earlier you apply for the position the higher the chance of being invited for an interview.