Financial Planning and Expense Analyst
At Metabolic, we recognise the need for a new economic model: one that ensures the wellbeing of all people and allows organizations to thrive without transgressing the safe boundaries of the Earth’s natural systems. Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We envision a world where human societies and Ecosystems flourish, and where our economic activities do not transgress any of the planetary boundaries.
We work with a growing network of partners to equip organizations all over the world with tools and insights to catalyze our mission and make an impact. We build scalable solutions to critical problems, deploying business models as diverse as consultancy, SaaS and philanthropic funding.
Our company culture is our core strength. We strive for excellence, empathy, and collaboration in everything we do. We value your personal and professional goals, and aspire to create an environment where they are achieved through both learning and doing.
Metabolic is a connected group of organizations designed to address systemic challenges at scale, we call it the Metabolic Ecosystem. The organizations are structured as for-profit or not-for-profit depending on their function, and deploy a range of business models. The core of the Ecosystem is made up of five entities working together in a symbiotic way. Each exists to address what we believe are the critical leverage points for systems change. They are: Consultancy, Institute, Software, Foundation and Ventures. Each embodies its own unique purpose that contributes to our overarching mission of transitioning the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state.
At the center of the Ecosystem lies the Metabolic Holding, which houses vital functions such as Marcomms, Design, People and Operations, and Finance. Each of these teams operate across the Ecosystem, providing support for all of our Metabolic entities.
About the Finance Team
The Finance team is a small, close-knit team at the center of the Ecosystem that supports the essential functioning and business practices of each part of the Ecosystem. Within Metabolic, the finance vision stresses not the need for profitability for the sake of profitability but for financial sustainability that allows the organisation to achieve its impact mission whilst also allowing people in the organisation to thrive. It is our responsibility to support Ecosystem Management in maintaining the balance between financial and organisation health, external impact and internal well being.
The Finance function, whilst small, has 5 main parts: Strategic Finance; Finance Business Partnering; Business Intelligence, Financial Planning & Analysis; Finance Excellence. We strive to be mission driven and customer focused and focus on empowered decision making, transparency and consistency in communication and supporting ongoing learning and development.
As the Financial Planning and Expense Analyst, you will be a valued member of our Finance team, with a focus on providing sound financial advice to a number of internal business partners. Your role will contribute to our mission and the management of the Metabolic Ecosystem by supporting your finance, business colleagues and the CFO through executing the financial planning and budgetary control processes as required. You will be working closely with the CFO, the Business Intelligence and Finance Business Partner and the Finance Administrators. A few key examples of this would be in supporting budget setting for Cost Centres. Assessing cost improvement opportunities. Leading and improving our in year forecasting and next year budgeting processes.
About the Position
In this position, you will be responsible for developing and driving the financial planning agenda within the Metabolic Ecosystem and for acting as a finance support on expense management to the functional heads in the ecosystem. You will build out the services needed to provide decision-makers within the organisation with the financial insights they need to help them set and stay within agreed expense envelopes in a considered and controlled way. In this position you will report directly to the Metabolic CFO. This role is expected to come with a certain level of financial planning experience already.
We are looking for a curious, financial savvy, diligent and solutions-oriented individual who is comfortable working both autonomously and as an integral part of a close-knit international team. You must have prior experience in financial planning – experience as a Business Controller can also be considered. You are skilled at diagnosing and solving problems with strong interpersonal skills. You find your energy from constantly finding ways to simplify and strengthen financial models and from improving turning data into information and analyses that support insight creation and decision making. You have great attention to detail at the same time. You are familiar with and like to work with information systems. You understand the ins and outs of a Profit and Loss. And you love tinkering with and improving processes and are not afraid to take ownership of leading processes that require engagement with the rest of the organisation.
The position is a full time basis and starts as soon as possible. It will initially be for a 6 month period and is intended to cover long term absence.
- Financial Planning & Analysis (50%)
- Own the consolidated actuals, forecasting and budgeting processes, ensuring accounting data model is up to date and fit for purpose
- Build on the business intelligence activities, generate and develop innovative ideas to grow Metabolic’s financial and non-financial performance
- Work with decision-makers across the ecosystem to develop strategic business cases for projects, initiatives, and divisions
- Work with the CFO to develop business plans, financial models, and analysis for resource allocation strategies and (external) investment plans
- Expenses management and partnering Budget Holders (30%)
- Partnering Functional Heads (OCEO, Operations, HR, Finance, MarComms, Business Development)
- Outside of Functional Leads, working closely with Business Intelligence and Finance Business Partner and, Finance Administrator (on AP)
- Responsible for supporting Functional strategy setting, Functional budgets setting, assessing actual expenditure and forecasting, analyzing Functional progress against KPIs and productivity, assessing Functional structure and resource needs, deriving insights from cost analytics
- In essence, supporting the ongoing development of our Overheads
- Expected to deal with the following processes: Cost Centre management, Accounts Payable
- Key system of relevance will be our (future) Accounting system (Exact Online) as well as Google Data Studio for dashboard visualisation
- Supporting Finance Projects (20%)
- Supporting CFO and Finance Team on any ongoing Finance Projects
- Representing Finance in Metabolic wide projects (on a needs basis)
- Ad-hoc analysis of a financial nature as required by the organisation
- Minimum an undergraduate degree, a professional accountancy qualification (or working towards one) and then more towards management accounting / register controller would be a strong advantage;
- Excellent (fluent) English skills, both speaking and writing;
- At least 5 years of experience in finance (likely to be a second or third substantial role);
- Excellent and demonstrable skills with Excel, Powerpoint and Word;
- Excellent business communication skills – able to translate numbers into a relevant story;
- Demonstrated experience in ability to influence colleagues (ideally business colleagues);
- Well organized and able to manage multiple areas of responsibility at the same time;
- Strong attention to detail balancing that with ability to stay focused on the main objectives at hand;
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a close-knit team;
- Working in a scale-up and / or a project organization would be a strong advantage;
- Advanced skills on database tools such as Google Data Studios or PowerBI would be a plus;
- For non-EU/EEA applicants: The role is dependent upon obtaining a visa to live and work in the Netherlands. Metabolic is a recognised visa sponsor and may support the successful candidate’s application for a work visa.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 100 individuals who share a passion for catalyzing a sustainable future. Be part of a dynamic, ambitious and international team that is passionate about sustainability, technology and impact. Collaborate and work alongside world-class experts in the fields of sustainability and circularity throughout the Metabolic Ecosystem.
This opportunity will place you in an environment that values people with their own ideas and initiatives. We believe in flat hierarchies, shared decision-making and impact over profit. You will be able to participate in an evolving decentralized governance system and be part of a close-knit community of people with shared interests and a strong company culture. We promise:
- A social, supportive and vibrant work environment and location with connection and purpose
- Autonomy & freedom for decision-making within your role, ensuring your voice within Metabolic
- Flexible and balanced approach to our working environment.
- Room for career development and personal growth.
This position will be based at our vibrant office in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Please submit your CV and letter of motivation in English via the Apply button below.
We will be assessing applications on a rolling basis.
In case of questions, please feel free to contact [email protected].