Are you passionate about the field of sustainable finance and enthusiastic about systems change? Do you want to strategically build out an interdisciplinary, fast-growing team? Then this position might be the right match for you.
Metabolic Consulting, an organization that helps forward-thinking organizations put sustainability and circular economy strategies into action, is looking for a Finance Lead.
At Metabolic, we recognise the need for a new economic model: one that ensures the wellbeing of all people and allows organizations to thrive without transgressing the safe boundaries of the Earth’s natural systems. Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We envision a world where human societies and Ecosystems flourish, and where our economic activities do not transgress any of the planetary boundaries.
We work with a growing network of partners to equip organizations all over the world with tools and insights to catalyze our mission and make an impact. We conduct leading research, develop future-facing strategies, and build scalable solutions to critical problems.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 100 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across Europe, the US, and Asia.
Our company culture is our core strength. We strive for excellence, empathy, and collaboration in everything we do. We value your personal and professional goals, and aspire to create an environment where they are achieved through both learning and doing.
Metabolic is a connected group of organizations designed to address systemic challenges at scale that we refer to as the Metabolic Ecosystem. The core of the Ecosystem is made up of five entities working together in a symbiotic way. Each exists to address what we believe are the critical leverage points for systems change. They are: Consulting, Institute, Software, Foundation and Ventures. Each embodies its own unique purpose that contributes to our overarching mission of transitioning the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state.
At the center of the Ecosystem lies the Metabolic Holding, which houses vital functions such as Marcomms, Design, People and Operations, and Finance. Each of these teams operate across the Ecosystem, providing support for all of our Metabolic entities.
Metabolic Consulting advises governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can radically shift how the economy functions.
Metabolic Consulting is part of the larger Metabolic family of organizations, which engages in advising key decision-makers, applied research, creating digital solutions, and venture building. These entities work together to identify, scale, and implement innovative solutions to global problems. Read more about Metabolic’s impact in our latest impact report. We are an international and dynamic team of around 90 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands and with an increasingly international reach as a company, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across the Netherlands, Europe, the US, and Asia.
Sustainable Finance Team
At Metabolic, we believe that the finance sector is a critical leverage point for driving the transition towards a fundamentally sustainable economy. Through capital allocation, the finance sector plays a central role in shaping the structure of the real economy and, by extension, has the power to finance solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges.
Over the past ten years, Metabolic has developed and refined a systems analysis approach to understanding and solving complex sustainability problems. Utilizing this approach, we help financial players to navigate these complex transitions. Our supporting services span from creating insights through risk and impact assessments, setting visions and supporting (science-based) targets, creating impact reduction and transition investment strategies, development and implementation of innovative financing programs to stimulate place based systems change. To provide those services,Metabolic builds on a vast sustainability expertise, applying a data-driven scientific approach to problem solving that is grounded in systems change theory.
About the Position
At Metabolic, we recognize the need for a new economic model that ensures all people’s well-being and allows organizations to thrive without transgressing the safe boundaries of the Earth’s natural systems. Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state.
We believe the Finance Sector is a critical leverage point for driving the transition toward a fundamentally sustainable economy. Our Sustainable Finance Team works with ambitious, motivated clients on their journey to become part of a regenerative economic system and to drive the transition to a system that favors a much longer-term perspective, in which usury should be eliminated, and drastic inequalities are structurally prevented.
We seek a passionate individual to lead Metabolic’s Sustainable Finance Team to become a leading global player in sustainable consulting. As a team lead, you will work closely with the Industries Division Director to build the team and the division strategically. You’ll build a team of 4 people out and will work together closely with other team leads on strategic project selection and execution, team mentorship, and wellbeing.
We are looking for someone with experience in the finance sector who stays on top of new knowledge, is curious, and is driven to create an economic system that works for everyone and the planet. A creative and empathic leader with the ability to translate complex problems into concrete pathways forward. The role requires an individual adept at working with multiple stakeholders both internal and external and to be able to manage immediate, short-term tasks while remaining focused on long-term strategic goals.
- Develop the yearly Finance Team annual plan in line with the Divisions strategy
- Develop yearly OKRs for the team and evaluate team progress throughout the year
- Propose and manage team-level investment
- Commercial & Partnerships: Identify strategic commercial opportunities and establish new partnerships
Supporting the Team in delivering on Strategy
- You will support the team as it expands its services and secures new consultancy assignments and ensures high-quality delivery of projects
- Support the team in developing a compelling value proposition aligned with the client’s needs
Project management and execution
- Manage key client and prospect client accounts:
- You work with the partners and Project managers to ensure that proposals and projects are adequately resourced
- Engage with key existing and potential clients to understand their key priorities and needs
Mentoring & Supporting the team
- Ensure that all roles within the team are filled by appropriate and competent individuals and that these individuals have appropriate mentorship, guidance and personal development opportunities.
- Enabling team members to develop in line with their personal development plans is an important focus area
- Significant experience working in (sustainability) consulting, working with industry clients and/or Finance Sector (minimum 3 years).
- A strong foundation and knowledge base in sustainability finance concepts including ESG, blended finance, impact investing, TNFD, TCFD is a plus.
- Affinity/experience with Climate Risk and/or Sustainable Finance in the financial industry.
- Experience with and talent for business development.
- Proven leadership experience, with proven experience in managing and leading advisory work for diverse clients and partners. (Previous experience in dynamic, scale-up organizations is an advantage).
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment and to navigate problems with good interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to deploy business expertise and knowledge to deliver key insights and strategic leadership to a broad, multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent (internal and external) communication skills, written and oral.
- Fluency in English is essential. Speaking Dutch is an advantage.
- Confident in making decisions, confident in asking advice and input when too little information is available to make decisions
- For non-EU/EEA applicants: The role is dependent upon obtaining a visa to live and work in the Netherlands. Metabolic is a recognised visa sponsor and may support the successful candidate’s application for a work visa.
Be part of a dynamic, ambitious and international team that is passionate about sustainability, technology and impact. Collaborate and work alongside world-class experts in the fields of sustainability and circularity throughout the Metabolic Ecosystem.
This opportunity will place you in an environment that values people with their own ideas and initiatives. We believe in flat hierarchies, shared decision-making and impact over profit. You will be able to participate in an evolving decentralized governance system and be part of a close-knit community of people with shared interests and a strong company culture. We promise:
- A social, supportive and vibrant work environment and location with connection and purpose
- Autonomy & freedom for decision-making within your role, ensuring your voice within Metabolic
- Flexible and balanced approach to our working environment.
- Room for career development and personal growth.
This position will be based at our vibrant office in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
To apply, please click the apply button below. You will be asked to upload your CV and copy over a letter of motivation. In case of questions, please feel free to contact us via [email protected]
The deadline to apply is October 21st, 2022 at 23:59 CET.