Data Science Intern Built Environment - Autumn 2022
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 95 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in the Netherlands with an increasingly international reach as a company, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across the Netherlands, Europe, the US, and Asia.
About the Internship
The Data Science Cluster at Metabolic focuses on supporting our consulting team in providing data-driven insights to our clients. This dynamic project work entails quantitative analysis of material and resource flows and assessing environmental impacts of consumption and production patterns.
As a data science intern, you work within the built environment consulting team and receive as much responsibility as you’re interested in taking on. The role is primarily focused on sound research and data analysis, and visualization using Python and/or QGIS.
In your role, you will be focusing primarily on the following activities:
- Data analysis and visualization for sustainable architecture, area development, and city-wide circular economy strategies. Creating the insights that help governments and organizations transition towards the circular economy.
- Contributing to internal tool/asset development using Python.
We’re looking for someone that falls within the following criteria:
- Desired skills /experience/knowledge:
- Skilled in programming for data analysis (Python, Pandas)
- Skilled in spatial analysis (QGIS or Python)
- Knowledge of database management and SQL is preferred
- Knowledge of version management software (git) is preferred
- Knowledge of sustainability and the built environment is preferred
- Enrolled- or having completed a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Architecture, Industrial ecology, Geo-Information Science, Spatial Planning, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Management, Urban Systems Engineering or equivalent
- A foundation of knowledge in sustainability, impact analysis, and systems thinking
- Intrinsic passion for solving global challenges
- Great research and analytical skills
- The ability to work independently
- Great team working skills
- Self-awareness of personal career development goals
To be eligible for an internship with Metabolic the following criteria must be met:
- Have, or be able to apply, for a residence permit in the Netherlands (valid for working purposes and for the entire duration of the internship).
- Have, or be able to request, a BSN (burgerservicenummer/citizen service number).
Please submit your CV and letter of motivation in English and in pdf format via the Apply button below. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact [email protected].
The applications will be assessed in a rolling fashion.