Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are a team of around 95 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. In our eight years of existence, we have developed systems analyses and circular economy strategies for over 500 global clients.
About the Position
We are looking for a Data Engineer with experience in developing data warehouses, maintaining databases, and creating ETL pipelines to join our data team.
Over the last couple of years, a shift occurred within Metabolic from Excel-based analysis to more advanced analytics using Python and large-scale geospatial data. In order to scale the tools and assets we developed, we need to build and professionalize our data architecture.
You’ll be working with Metabolic’s Data Cluster, a multi-disciplinary team (industrial ecology, energy science, architecture, spatial planners, etc.) that relies on coding to answer our clients’ questions. As a data engineer you will provide the following key responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain Metabolic’s data warehouse, and standardize accessibility to the data warehouse by developing ETL pipelines.
- Ensure the data architecture supports the (future) requirements of the business.
- Create data assets for various internal and external customers. Including creating functional and technical designs, and developing data architectures for selected consulting projects.
- Develop and maintain an internal “knowledge hub”. The knowledge hub will be a platform for dataset storage (structured and unstructured data), methodologies, Python scripts and documentation that improves knowledge transfer between consultancy projects.
- Discover new opportunities for data acquisition and analysis.
- Recommend ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality.
- Strengthen and streamline the interactions between the Data Cluster and Metabolic Software. Metabolic Software is a venture created by Metabolic that develops scalable software products and decision-support tools that accelerate the global transition to a sustainable economy.
The position is a full-time role and has a flexible starting date. It requires you to be based in (or close to) Amsterdam.
- Python (3+ years)
- SQL (3+ years)
- Experience developing data architectures and developing and maintaining databases
- Experience with ETL and data pipelines
- Experience creating functional and technical designs
- Educated to Masters level (or equivalent) in one or more of the following disciplines: Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Business Analytics, GIS, or other programming/quantitative Masters program, or equivalent experience outside of formal education
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in English required, and fluency in Dutch is a plus
- Comfortable working autonomously, as well as part of a close-knit interdisciplinary team
- Valid work permit to work as an employee in the Netherlands
- A foundation of knowledge in sustainability, systems thinking, and/or environmental management
- GIS knowledge (QGIS/ArcGIS/Python/R/Google Earth Engine)
How to apply:
To apply, please use this form. Please upload your CV and a letter of motivation in English (both in PDF format) before the 26th of June, 23:59. In case of questions, please feel free to contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org.