Senior Data Analyst
*This position requires fluent Dutch and English*
Metabolic is a data-driven scale-up organization that has been pioneering new approaches to environmental assessment and action. We are looking for someone to support professionalization and innovation in our data science capabilities at Metabolic across a range of different entities and activities, ranging from consulting and research to software development and venture building. This position supports data scientists and analysts in each of those entities through mentorship and works on building shared infrastructure and assets, effective knowledge transfer and innovation mechanisms, and development pathways for those working to use data science and analysis to drive sustainable systems change.
At Metabolic, we recognise the need for a new economic model: one that ensures the wellbeing of all people and allows organizations to thrive without transgressing the safe boundaries of the Earth’s natural systems. Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We envision a world where human societies and Ecosystems flourish, and where our economic activities do not transgress any of the planetary boundaries.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 100 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across Europe, the US, and Asia.
Our company culture is our core strength. We strive for excellence, empathy, and collaboration in everything we do. We value your personal and professional goals, and aspire to create an environment where they are achieved through both learning and doing.
About the Position
We are currently looking for a Data Analyst with experience in data analysis, programming and sustainability consulting, ideally within the cities & regions environment, construction or the built environment. Your role would sit within Metabolic Consulting and the Cities & Regions team. Ideally you would like to focus your skills and experience to help solve key challenges in the urban environments we live in. Within your role you will be supporting the data analysis and programming aspects on the consulting projects and help develop new assets and tools. Our Cities & Regions team is working across different scales on:
- Urban metabolism scan, measuring material, water and energy flows coming in and out of regions
- Impact analysis of circular interventions on neighborhood, city, region or national scale
- Circular city strategies
- Developing Key Performance Indicators for sustainability in cities and regions
- Business case development
Your work will include data analytics, spatial analysis and programming in the broad sense of the definition, ranging from method development, to data collection, processing, analysis, visualisation, and to insights. We are looking for a colleague who is enthusiastic to help develop new models and tools to scale up our impact. Next to the technical aspects of data analytics, one of your main challenges will be to communicate your data-driven insights in a way that successfully influences action with our clients. The main tools you will use for your analysis are Python, GIS, and Excel.
Next to project related analysis work you will also work on the development of data related services to support our consultancy work. This may range from developing standardized analysis methods, data sets or visualization dashboards. For this role it is important that you both have the technical know-how to build these products and the business insight to recognize where opportunities lie.
We are looking for a colleague with strong analytical skills and high attention to detail, but also the ability to zoom out and use your creativity to find new solutions. You should be comfortable working autonomously, and also as part of a close-knit interdisciplinary team. As a senior member of the team you are also expected to help guide junior and medior data analysts in their work and professional development. You will also help the business development unit and project managers with scoping and budgeting of projects with a strong data analysis aspect to them.
- Fluent in both Dutch and English (essential)
- General understanding and passion for circularity in the cities and regions (material flow analysis, embodied impact analysis, circular business cases etc.)
- Experienced data analyst (+5 years of relevant work experience)
- Experience and interest in developing new tools (e.g. automated material flow mapping, intervention assessment)
- Skilled in programming for data analysis (Python)
- Skilled in spatial analysis (QGIS, Python)
- Skilled in visualisation of data analysis results (Python, Excel, QGIS)
- Knowledge of database management and SQL is a pro
- A foundation of knowledge in sustainability, environmental impact analysis, and systems thinking
- Familiarity with science-based targets, and carbon accounting is an advantage
- The ability to draw conclusions from quantitative and qualitative information
- Excellent communication skills
- For non-EU/EEA applicants: The role is dependent upon obtaining a visa to live and work in the Netherlands. Metabolic is a recognised visa sponsor and may support the successful candidate’s application for a work visa.
This opportunity will place you in an environment that values people with their own ideas and initiatives. We believe in flat hierarchies, shared decision-making and impact over profit. You will be able to participate in an evolving decentralized governance system and be part of a close-knit community of people with shared interests and a strong company culture. We promise:
- A social, supportive and vibrant work environment and location with connection and purpose
- Autonomy & freedom for decision-making within your role, ensuring your voice within Metabolic
- Flexible and balanced approach to our working environment.
- Working part time 32-36 hours per week is also possible
- Room for career development and personal growth
How to apply
Please submit your CV and letter of motivation in English via the Apply button below.
The deadline for applications is midnight on Sunday, 7 January 2023, but will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
In case of questions, please feel free to contact [email protected].