Sustainability Consultant - Data Analytics (Agrifood & Biodiversity)
The position is full-time and ideally starts in September 2022. It requires you to locate to (or close to) Amsterdam.
At Metabolic, we recognize the need for a new economic model: one that ensures the wellbeing of all people and allows organizations to thrive without transgressing the safe boundaries of the Earth’s natural systems. Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We envision a world where human societies and ecosystems flourish, and where our economic activities do not transgress any of the planetary boundaries.
We work with a growing network of partners, to equip organizations all over the world with tools and insights to catalyze this change. We conduct leading research, develop future-facing strategies, and build scalable solutions to critical problems.
Our company culture is our core strength. We strive for excellence, empathy, collaboration and commitment in everything we do. We value your personal and professional goals, and aspire to create an environment where they are achieved through both learning and doing.
Agrifood and Biodiversity Division
Our Agrifood and Biodiversity team works with ambitious companies, NGOs and governments to drive a transition towards a nature-positive economy.
About the Position
We seek an experienced Data Analyst to help solve key challenges relating to nature and climate.
You will be leading and implementing the data analysis aspects on projects across scales, from value chain analysis to landscape and capital assessments, and setting science-based targets. You will support the creation of pioneering insights to companies, NGOs, and governments regarding how to plan and organize supply chains and landscapes in line with planetary boundaries and global sustainability goals.
This requires creativity, innovation, and pragmatism.
You’ll be working in a multi-disciplinary team (landscape ecology, conservation biology, agricultural and forest science, earth systems science, agroecology, sustainable development) in developing effective strategies that deliver high-value results and insights in an efficient and effective manner.
Your work will include; data collection, processing, analysis, visualization, methods development and insights extraction. Next to the technical aspects of data analytics, one of your challenges will be to communicate your data-driven insights in a way that connects with our clients and drives action. Additionally, you will keep abreast of the latest developments in impact assessments and biodiversity footprinting.
- Data analytics: data collection, processing, analysis, and visualisation of results for our consulting projects.
- Developing methodologies: Working with our network partners such as in the WWF, SBTN, TNFD to develop and test methodologies relating to nature impacts and dependencies, as well as applying these methods in consulting projects.
- Communication: Translate complex data analysis to accessible (visual) insights that will drive our clients and partners to action.
- Mentorship: Guide colleagues in their analytical approaches as well as provide quality control for data outputs.
We are looking for a colleague with strong analytical skills and high attention to detail, but also the ability to zoom out, understand how insights translate to client’s needs and to use your creativity to find new solutions. You should be comfortable working autonomously, and also as part of a close-knit interdisciplinary team. You should have proven leadership experience in mentoring or guiding others in their work.
Prefered Skills and Experience
- Experienced data analyst (3-5 years of relevant work experience)
- Skilled in programming for data analysis (Python)
- Skilled in spatial analysis (QGIS, Python)
- Skilled in visualisation of data analysis results (Python, Excel, QGIS)
- Knowledge of database management and SQL is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Educated to Masters level (or equivalent) in one or more of the following disciplines: Environmental Sciences, Environmental Management, Earth Systems Science, Agricultural Science, Forest Science, Conservation Biology, Landscape Ecology.
- A foundation of knowledge in sustainability, environmental impact analysis, and systems thinking
- Familiarity with capitals assessments, science-based targets, and carbon accounting is an advantage
- Knowledge of statistics, uncertainty analysis, and error propagation is an advantage
- Valid work permit to work as an employee in the Netherlands
We are an international and dynamic team of around 95 people, based in Amsterdam with a global reach, who share an ambition and passion for catalyzing a sustainable future. Our company culture is our core strength, we believe in flat hierarchies, shared decision-making and impact over profit. We strive for excellence, empathy, collaboration and commitment in everything we do. We value your personal and professional goals, and aspire to create an environment where they are achieved through both learning and doing.
How to apply:
Please submit your CV and letter of motivation in English via the Apply button below.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 4th September 2022, but please note that we will be interviewing on a rolling basis.
In case of questions, please feel free to contact [email protected] .