At Metabolic, we recognise the need for a new economic model: one that ensures the wellbeing of all people and allows organizations to thrive without transgressing the safe boundaries of the Earth’s natural systems. Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We envision a world where human societies and Ecosystems flourish, and where our economic activities do not transgress any of the planetary boundaries.
We work with a growing network of partners to equip organizations all over the world with tools and insights to catalyze our mission and make an impact. We conduct leading research, develop future-facing strategies, and build scalable solutions to critical problems.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 100 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across Europe, the US, and Asia.
Our company culture is our core strength. We strive for excellence, empathy, and collaboration in everything we do. We value your personal and professional goals, and aspire to create an environment where they are achieved through both learning and doing.
Metabolic is a connected group of organizations designed to address systemic challenges at scale that we refer to as the Metabolic Ecosystem. The core of the Ecosystem is made up of five entities working together in a symbiotic way. Each exists to address what we believe are the critical leverage points for systems change. They are: Consulting, Institute, Software, Foundation and Ventures. Each embodies its own unique purpose that contributes to our overarching mission of transitioning the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state.
At the center of the Ecosystem lies the Metabolic Holding, which houses vital functions such as Marcomms, Design, People and Operations, and Finance. Each of these teams operate across the Ecosystem, providing support for all of our Metabolic entities.
About Metabolic Consulting
Metabolic Consulting advises governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. At the core of our work is a systems approach; we analyze impacts, develop strategies and implementation plans and map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can radically shift how the economy functions.
Our Consultancy has three primary divisions: Agrifood and Biodiversity, Cities and Regions and Industries. We specialize in systems change methodologies and science-based approaches to bridge the gap between natural and social sciences and economies. The interventions we propose are based on a holistic understanding of the impact of decisions of the entire system. All aspects of human and environmental systems are considered; materials, energy, water, biodiversity, culture, health and societal value. Metabolic Consulting is part of the larger Metabolic family of organizations, which engages in advising key decision-makers, applied research, creating digital solutions, and venture building.
About the Position
In your role as Consulting Director you will be a core member of our management team, heading a group of ambitious consultants and experts on our mission to deliver impact to our partners and contribute to transitioning the global economy to a sustainable state. You will provide inspiration for this mission by providing strategic leadership, aligning the team with the broader purpose of the Ecosystem, and working closely with the consultancy Division Leads. You will be responsible for providing the Division Leads with the strategic guidance, support, and resources they need to deliver on both their impact and commercial goals. As a senior member of the executive team, you will coordinate with the other Entity Directors and Leads to design and shape Metabolic Consulting’s strategy in alignment with the broader mission of the Ecosystem.
This position is a full time role, based at our office in Amsterdam.
- Contributing to Metabolic Consulting’s mission.
- Inspiring and aligning the team with Metabolic’s broader purpose.
- Regularly communicating with the broader Consulting team about the strategy, key decisions, and overall direction of the company
- Keeping the rest of the Ecosystem updated on Metabolic Consulting’s direction and regularly liaising with other Entity Leads
- Defining an overarching strategic direction for Metabolic Consulting in line with the Ecosystem vision
- Arranging annual strategy-setting process – providing the division directors with the space and structure they need to succeed.
- Representing the consulting with the strategy team for Ecosystem-level strategy in the 5-year cycle.
- Reviewing implementation, documenting, and coordinating entity-level strategy
- Setting and evaluating OKRs for the entity and setting OKRs for their own leadership role, together with the CEO and Division Leads.
- Collecting and strategically prioritizing operational expenditures and liaising with Division leads
- Coordinating with finance team to ensure targets are in line with overall Ecosystem financial strategy
- Collecting entity and Ecosystem-level investment proposals, deploying the internal Resource Allocation process to evaluate larger-scale investments
- Management & Leadership
- Coordinating and executing strategic hiring for the entity
- Ensuring all team members have appropriate mentorship, guidance, and personal development opportunities.
- Fostering collaboration and knowledge sharing between Consulting teams
- Representing Metabolic Consulting internally, at both executive level and to the wider Ecosystem, and at external events and meetings with our clients and partners.
- Coordinating with the Marketing and Communications team to develop and deploy a plan for continuously improving Metabolic Consulting’s visibility and public positioning.
We are looking for a leader with strong leadership and people management skills, and with a focus on delivering with impact and vision. You bring consulting management and business expertise, and enjoy solving complex business problems by applying creativity, flexibility, and innovation in a collaborative environment. You lead by supporting others and providing them with what they need in order to flourish in their own roles. You have the seniority and presence to represent Metabolic at the table with senior global executives in both corporate and civil society settings.
You build strong relationships and know how to cultivate psychologically safe environments, and enjoy helping others to flourish. You are passionate about building a sustainable future and value positive societal impact over financial gain and have a strong connection with Metabolic’s overarching mission.
- Passion for sustainability, circularity, and systems change with genuine connection to our mission.
- 5 – 10 years experience in management consulting, with proven experience in both leadership as well as in managing and leading advisory work for diverse clients and partners. (Previous experience in dynamic, scale-up organizations is an advantage).
- Graduate degree or strong background in Business, Business Administration, Consulting, or related field.
- Graduate degree or strong background in Industrial Ecology, Environmental Sciences, Sustainability, or related field.
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment and to navigate problems within a complex organization with good interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to deploy business expertise and knowledge to deliver key insights and strategic leadership to a broad, multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to present and communicate information in a clear manner and to use this to enable others and influence decision-making.
- Experience and ability to manage and organize internal operational processes
- Excellent written and verbal command of English (knowledge of Dutch is an advantage)
- For non-EU/EEA applicants: The role is dependent upon obtaining a visa to live and work in the Netherlands. Metabolic is a recognised visa sponsor and may support the successful candidate’s application for a work visa.
Be part of a dynamic, ambitious and international team that is passionate about sustainability, technology and impact. Collaborate and work alongside world-class experts in the fields of sustainability and circularity throughout the Metabolic Ecosystem.
This opportunity will place you in an environment that values people with their own ideas and initiatives. We believe in flat hierarchies, shared decision-making and impact over profit. You will be able to participate in an evolving decentralized governance system and be part of a close-knit community of people with shared interests and a strong company culture. We promise:
- A social, supportive and vibrant work environment and location with connection and purpose
- Autonomy & freedom for decision-making within your role, ensuring your voice within Metabolic
- Flexible and balanced approach with hybrid working, holidays and a focus on wellbeing
- Room for career development and personal growth.
This position will be based at our vibrant office in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and letter of motivation in English via the Apply button below.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 9th October 2022 at 23.59.
In case of questions, please feel free to contact [email protected] .