CENTRINNO Internship - City engagement & Science communication - March 2023
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 90 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in the Netherlands, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of global clients.
CENTRINNO is a European Horizon 2020 funded project that seeks to test and scale alternative urban regeneration strategies for industrial heritage sites that foster inclusivity, sustainability and circularity. In nine diverse European cities, CENTRINNO will establish creative, locally productive and inclusive hubs in former industrial sites which become testbeds for teaching, training and innovation for a new urban manufacturing model.
Within CENTRINNO, Metabolic Institute is developing an integrated approach that allows pilots to map resources, tools, skills and stakeholders available in their wider urban ecosystem that are key in fostering socially inclusive, circular and productive value chains. Metabolic’s approach is centered around an extended Urban Metabolism concept that will combine material flow analyses with geospatial mapping targeted to each city’s complex urban context. At the center of this approach stands a spatially explicit analysis of each city’s municipal waste system, allowing pilots to innovate with circular production processes. This waste-based analysis will be embedded in a process of mapping additional elements of each city’s urban ecosystem, such as geodemographics, environmental conditions and stakeholder networks.
About the Internship
The internship is an opportunity to get real-world experience in translating the ideas of circular and regenerative cities into tangible tools and strategies for cities. It will allow you to actively contribute to an interdisciplinary research project that seeks to bring together cultural heritage, circular urban metabolisms and social inclusivity into a holistic urban regeneration approach.
We are looking to hire someone who will closely work together within the CENTRINNO team. As we are moving into the final year of the project our work will concentrate on replication and upscaling and sharing lessons learned.
In this role, you will work closely with pilot cities and our Metabolic ecosystem on the following activities:
- Contribute to the development of an overall methodology to build circular neighbourhoods by applying systemic approaches and tool
- Supporting the writing of reports, scientific articles and website content to share lessons learned and outputs from workshops for different target audiences
- Preparation of workshops and training sessions to support pilot cities and their stakeholders in operationalizing circular economy approaches into their activities
- Desk research on circular value chains and technologies and translating these to practical recommendations for cities
The position will last for 6 months and start on 6th of March 2023. The internship requires four to five days of work per week. It provides a stipend amounting to €835,80/ month (based on 40 hours per week).
We are looking for someone with the following qualifications:
- Enrolled in a relevant Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree, such as Industrial ecology, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Management, Urban Systems Engineering or equivalent
- Knowledge in urban sustainability, preferably with a focus on sustainable urban regeneration, the circular economy, cultural heritage, and/ or socio-ecological systems
- Strong interdisciplinary research skills, with good capacity in conducting research, synthesizing information, and communicating conclusions
- Good writing skills experienced in storytelling and developing narratives
- Have fun working on challenging projects, as part of an enthusiastic and diverse team
- Demonstrated passion for sustainability and social issues
- Great communication and teamwork skills (experience with multi-stakeholder work is a plus)
- Fluency in written and spoken English
To be eligible for an internship with Metabolic, the following criteria must be met (non-negotiable):
- Enrolled for the entire duration of the internship
- Have a residence permit in the Netherlands (valid for working purposes and for the entire duration of the internship)
- Have a BSN (burgerservicenummer/citizen service number)
Please submit your CV and letter of motivation in English and in pdf format via the Apply button below. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact [email protected]
The deadline to apply is Sunday, 29th of January 2023, at 23:59 CET.