Business Development Intern - Fall 2021
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable state. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions. We work with financial institutions, NGOs, and governments in the transition to a sustainable economy. We help financial institutions understand the risks from environmental impacts and develop innovative and sustainable forms of value.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 90 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in the Netherlands with an increasingly international reach as a company, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across the Netherlands, Europe, the US, and Asia.
About the position
We make an impact by building sustainable and long-lasting client relationships, and our business development team plays an essential role in helping us maximize our overall impact. We are currently recruiting for a Business Development Intern to join our team. In this position, you will work closely with the different consulting teams to develop opportunities to work with leading organizations on pioneering sustainability projects. Business development at Metabolic means building meaningful, long-term relationships with prospects and partners in which we genuinely aim to solve client problems and drive forward impact.
You bring these skills:
- Strong writing and speaking skills mean that you are fluent in English, rapidly absorb written information, and take great notes.
- Well organized and confident in coordinating events, proposals and interacting with clients and leads in a supporting role.
- Comfortable working both autonomously and as a part of a close-knit, interdisciplinary, international team.
- Additional skills in PowerPoint and or InDesign are a plus.
You will be expected to support proactive business development efforts, organize and write proposals in response to client needs, build and deliver pitch decks, etc. You will work with content experts to develop new value propositions, identify target audience segments, and lead outreach for new service offerings, industries, and geographies.
You will help coordinate the team’s business development activities and supporting materials, for example, through proposal writing, pitch development, and template creation. You will be guided by and work closely with our existing business development team, interfacing with consulting team leads, consultants, and marketing to increase the efficacy of our business development efforts.
You should feel confident supporting interactions with clients, leads, and partners. You should be capable of digesting new developments in the field (policies, technologies, and approaches) and placing them in the context in which we work.
The position lasts for 5-6 months and starts on September 6th, 2021. The internship requires 4 to 5 days of work per week. This internship provides a stipend amounting to €400/month pro-rata (based on 40 hours per week).
Working as an integral member of the business development team, your key accountabilities will include:
- Internal resources → database of proposals and decks
- Proposal and deck templates
- Research for key accounts and sales campaigns
- Proposal writing and coordination
- Pitch deck creation
- Sales & Business Development
- Become an integral part of the business development team, working with consultants and other stakeholders to research new business opportunities to expand our work and impact
- Proactively support and execute business development efforts and write proposals in response to client needs
- Work with consulting team leads to identify and research new markets/clients for Metabolic to expand our impact and work
- Work with the Business Development and Marketing teams to launch sales campaigns, including support materials, coordination with the marketing team
- Key Account Management
- Support 2-3 key accounts by identifying new opportunities for us to work with the client in the transition to a sustainable economy
- Research and identify client needs and match with Metabolic service offerings
- Prepare support materials as necessary
- Maintain comprehensive documentation and administration within Metabolic’s CRM system
- Fluency in English & Dutch required
- Excellent communication skills
- Passionate about social and environmental issues
- Pragmatic and hands-on approach to solving problems
- A foundation of knowledge in sustainability, circular economy, and systems thinking
- Prior experience in the following a plus
- Sales or business development or
- Outbound sales experience
- Masters Degree in Environmental Studies, Environmental Science or related Account-based selling and enterprise accounts
- Using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems (Pipedrive, Hubspot, Salesforce, etc)
To be eligible for an internship with Metabolic the following criteria must be met (non-negotiable):
- Have a residence permit in the Netherlands (valid for working purposes and for the entire duration of the internship)
- Have a BSN (burgerservicenummer/citizen service number
- Based in Amsterdam and surroundings