Business Developer, Sustainability
Metabolic’s mission is to transition the global economy to a fundamentally sustainable State. We advise governments, businesses, and NGOs on how to adapt to a fast-changing global context. Combining systems thinking and data science, we map and understand local and global systems to assess where to intervene and develop solutions that can dramatically shift how the economy functions.
We are an international and dynamic team of around 80 people who share an ambition for catalyzing a sustainable future. Based in the Netherlands with an increasingly international reach as a company, we work at the cutting edge of sustainability initiatives for a broad range of clients across the Netherlands, Europe, the US, and Asia.
About the Position
We make an impact by building sustainable and long-lasting client relationships, and our business development team plays an essential role in helping us maximize our overall impact. We are currently recruiting for a Business Developer to join our team. In this position, you will work closely with the different consulting teams to develop opportunities for us to work with leading organisations on pioneering sustainability projects. Business development at Metabolic means building meaningful, long-term relationships with prospects and partners in which we genuinely aim to solve client problems and drive forward impact.
Ideally, you have prior experience in a client-facing or business development role. You are a skilled problem-solver with strong interpersonal skills, and you find your energy from helping others find solutions to meaningful sustainability challenges. We are looking for an impact-driven, diligent, and solutions-oriented individual who is comfortable working both autonomously and as an integral part of a close-knit, interdisciplinary, international team.
You will be expected to drive proactive business development efforts, design and write proposals in response to client needs. You will work with content experts to develop new value propositions, identify target audience segments, and lead outreach for new service offerings, industries and geographies.
In addition to managing your own business development activities, you will help build the wider team’s business development skills/capacity, for example through conducting knowledge-sharing sessions and process and asset development. You will work closely in partnership with our existing business development team, interfacing with consulting team leads, marketing, and finance to increase the efficacy of our business development efforts.
You should feel confident about taking on a leading role in client management and be familiar with project management. You enjoy engaging in external-facing thought leadership on sustainability issues, and should be capable of digesting new developments in your field (policies, technologies, and approaches) and placing them in the context in which we work.
The position is a full-time role and starts in early 2021. It is based in Amsterdam and will involve some international travel.
Working as an integral member of the business development team, you will act at times as a consultant, a coach, and a key account manager. Your key accountabilities will include:
- Sales & Business Development
- Become an integral part of the business development team, working with consultants and other stakeholders to develop new business opportunities to expand our work and impact
- Design and execute proactive business development efforts, design and write proposals in response to client needs, align business development activities with Metabolic team strategies
- Work with consulting team leads to identify and develop new markets and clients for Metabolic to expand our impact and work
- Develop sales campaigns, including support materials, coordination with the marketing team
- Key Account Management
- Manage 3-5 key accounts, developing and expanding the long-term client relationship, identify opportunities for us to work with the client in the transition to a sustainable economy
- Research and identify client needs and match with Metabolic service offerings
- Maintain an ongoing relationship with various contact points within the client organisation, liaising with senior consultants as necessary to discuss problem areas and formulate potential project opportunities
- Prepare support materials as necessary
- Maintain comprehensive documentation and administration within Metabolic’s CRM system
- Capacity Building and Coordination
- Work closely with our existing BD team, interfacing with consulting team leads, Marcomms, and Finance to increase the efficacy of our business development efforts
- Engage with consultants to identify pain points and areas for improvement in the team’s business development skills and activities
- Assist in coordinating various sales leads, supporting consultants and teams in developing accounts
- Fluency in English & Dutch required
- 3+ years working experience in account management, B2B and/or B2G sales, or business development
- Excellent communication skills
- Passionate about social and environmental issues
- Pragmatic and hands-on approach to solving problems
- Outbound sales experience
- A foundation of knowledge in sustainability, circular economy, and systems thinking
- Experience with account-based selling and enterprise accounts a plus
- Experience using CRMs (Pipedrive, Hubspot, Salesforce, etc)
- Project management experience a plus
- Existing network of contacts and accounts a strong plus